Monday, September 22, 2008

Happy First Day of Fall

I love fall. It is one of my most favorite times of the year. We have enjoyed the crisp mornings as we leave for school and the cool evenings that are perfect for pulling Clara Beth and Emanuiel around the neighborhood in the wagon. I love the foods that we think of in autumn, just picked apples baked into pies, pumpkins with seeds for toasting, hearty soups and stews simmering on the stove that make your house smell like home. To celebrate the beginning of fall we had one of our favorite cozy comfort meals. This is not fancy food just good down home cooking that my mother taught me how to do. She's been gone for over ten years and cooking was her passion. I still feel very close to her anytime I am working away in the kitchen. So tonight we had one of her go to meals. Savory Stewed Beef over Rice that simmered in the crock pot all day, Ham Flavored Pinto Beans(that also bubbled away in another crock pot), Baked Sweet Potatoes smothered in butter, brown sugar and cinnamon and warm from the oven Cornbread Muffins. What could be more tasty on the first day of fall. The little ones and big ones gobbled it all up. I only wish I could have had enough time to bake an apple pie!!! That would have been autumn perfection!! Maybe tomorrow night.
We had another big first at our house tonight. After dinner Land had to get ready for his first night at Junior Cotillion. This is a dress-up affair so he had to get all gussied up. This program is designed to help young people treat others with respect and dignity. They also throw in a little ballroom dancing for fun. Doesn't he already look like quite a gentleman.
All ready to tackle cotillion.(I know he wishes this was football he was tackling.)
Too handsome for words, can you tell Mom is just a little biased. No pictures of the little ones tonight. They kept moving in opposite directions........imagine that!!!

Remember that our evenings together will become fond memories of our treasured families and that the bounty and fullness in our lives comes from the Lord. So today make a memory and thank the Lord for the family that you have to share it with.

Say"thank you" to the Lord for being so good,
for always being so loving and kind.
Psalm 107:1

Until next time............
Robin

4 comments:

Jen Barbee said...

Hi Robin,
Just checking in with your family. So glad to see that things are going so well for you. I'm so impressed with all of your cooking. I'm not getting much of that done these days. Any pointers ?

Stefanie said...

YUM!! You're making me hungry... and it's only 7AM! I would LOVE any recipes you'd like to share, I'm a Southern girl in the mid west and I sure do miss it!
:)

patricia said...

Love Fall, love your cooking, love the new pictures. Can't wait to see posts from Autumn Moon celebration! Hope everything is going well.

The Ferrill's said...

Yes, I want to know how you did that roast.
I'm not a cook. But I'm not afraid of a crock pot.
What a beautiful meal, and you are right, those evenings around the table are making lasting memories!
(Are the memories still good if it's just Ramen on the table? ;)
Your boy is so handsome! I hope he had fun at the cotillion!
I can't wait for the next photo shoot--hopefully WITHOUT mosquitos! ;)